North American Agribusiness Review June 2023
This periodical update provides a market outlook for dairy, cattle, wheat, and other key commodities, and gives an overview of what developments to watch in the upcoming months in North America.
- Economy: The Fed is not done, and we do not anticipate any rate cuts in North America this year.
- Logistics: Labor disruptions remain front and center as the global supply chain recovers.
- Consumer Retail & Foodservice: Prices have gradually trickled down as retailers and restaurants carefully manage price increases so as not to shock demand.
- Cattle: Beef and cattle prices move to new highs as supplies tighten and demand stays historically strong.
- Corn: Topsoil moisture remains low in parts of the Corn Belt.
- Dairy: Milk production remains higher versus last year, with further price weakness materializing in Q2.
- Farm Inputs: A bearish sentiment in the global markets continues to drive fertilizer prices lower.
- Feed: Feed prices are easing but remain high relative to the last five years.
- Fruit: California strawberry shipments are strong, and supplies are likely to remain steady during summer.
- Pork: Industry losses will force herd contraction in 2H 2023 and 2024.
- Poultry: Chicken markets trail expectations on increased supply.
- Soybeans: Price spread draws Brazilian beans to the US.
- Sweeteners: Balance sheet and sugar prices are not on the same page.
- Tree Nuts: Mixed market signals and uneven export figures.
- Vegetables: After a short period of counter-seasonal movements, prices returned to historical averages.
- Wheat: While the wheat market has followed the broader commodity market’s downward trend, wheat futures have remained well above long-term averages and within a broad trading range.
Download previous editions
Where to go from here
Al GriffinSenior Data Analyst
Podcast: How Australian grain farmers could benefit from El Niño impacts in South America
Australia Agribusiness December 2023: Is Christmas cheer on the horizon?
Agri Commodity Markets Research Outlook 2024: Buyers sail home on rising supplies
Reporte de arándanos 2023: Eficiencias operacionales y oferta premium transformarán la industria del arándano